I got my hands on a laptop with Windows XP installed, and can do whatever I want with it, except deleting the windows. I decided not to have a dual boot on it, but to try and make it free software only (well, except the windows itself).
The main uses for the computer are surfing the web (browser only, not email), editting documents, watching videoes and being able to burn files.
The results for now:
- Mozilla Firefox (browser) – set to be the default browser, and I also removed Internet Explorer (well, windows only removes the links to the software and not the software itself).
- OpenOffice.org (productivity suite) – set the be the default application to the doc, xls and ppt files. Can also read OOXML format.
- ClamWin (anti virus)
- InfraRecoder (CD/DVS recorder)
- VLC (video player)- set to be the default video player (including Microsoft’s file formats).
- Sumatra PDF (PDF reader).
See “open source as alternative” if you want to find an alternative for a specific closed software.