Monthly Archives: November 2012

LibreOffice conference and motivation

Last week, just before the branching of 3.6.4 was the peak of my recent work in LibreOffice. The motivation from attending the conference and working with others lasted long for me with the help of a few collaborations done since (thanks Caolan and Eike). My own patches were approved just in time to make it to the 3-6 branch, which, along other fixes, pretty much makes 3.6.4 a better release to the RTL users in general, and Hebrew users specifically. Things aren’t perfect, but they’re improving nicely (on going status is at RTL bugs wiki page).

I’m also very happy that most RTL related fixes since the conference have been cherry-picked from master to 3-6 branch, so the users won’t have to wait till February for the 4.0 release. Last year I had to wait till the 3.5 release to see some of my work fruits, now I can see them in much shorter intervals.

The motivation and involvement go hand in hand, each enhances the other for me. I’ve started reviewing patches sent for RTL bugs to verify the suggested fixes with private builds and marking bugs as verified when the patches do get accepted. Compering to a month ago, I’m now busy with helping the developers do their part instead of “just” reporting problems. Seeing things go forward (and helping them do so) is much more motivating than waiting for someone to pick the bug report and try solve it.

I hope having fast response to their code changes is also motivating for the developers, in that case everyone enjoys the collaboration.

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under LibreOffice

How I got an extra value from my flight ticket to libreoffice 2011

Miklos published about his “LibreOffice RTF import Drawing Objects improvements” which was done to fix my report (fdo#42407). As an anecdote I want to mention that he test document was my flight ticket to the LibreOffice conference in 2011.

So I feel I got an extra value from attending the conference in the form of having a this RTF compatibility implemented. In addition, Miklos fixed an import problem with Hebrew with these old documents (fdo#56512) – double value. Miklos – I owe you a drink (:

I’m not sure if I should thank the traveling company for working with such old software which produced the old formatted RTF files, but in any case, it turned out to be a good thing.

Leave a comment

Filed under LibreOffice