As LibreOffice is approaching its final 3.5.0 release, I’d like to sum up the RTL status for RC1.
So far, 6 RTL related bugs were resolved in the 3.5 cycle (#32530, #34222, #40950, #43790, #43793, #44078), and a few minor issues reported directly to the developer’s mailing list got quick responses. Most importantly, the new features of page break and header/footer not only support RTL but actually looks good. During the LibreOffice conference I was suggested to help with these features, providing feedback, and I’m glade the needed attention was given to it.
Besides that, a few l10n and translation issues were solved in the process of doing the Hebrew translation (which also reflects on other RTL languages). At a few cases, these issue because a general l10n issues which affects all the languages.
In general, I found the core developers responsive to mails about RTL support. I’m sure the talk about RTL problems during the conference helped, as well as being more active in the project and having more personal acquaintance with the developers.
That’s being said, RTL support for LibreOffice still has problems, which I hope will be pushed during the 3.5.x cycles (full list at Bug 43808, the rtl meta bug). As to get some focus regarding was is to be done, I’m listing the top problems:
- #44657 – RTL UI: Horizontal scrollbar in calc main window is broken
- #33302 – brackets inverted in rtl text (mac only)
- #37692 – RTL list numbering reverses its direction
- #42070 - RTL support in broken in presenter Console extension
- #32531 - Incorrect cursor key movement between table cells of different directionality
- #104515 - RTL UI: moving active embedded object to the left moves it to the right (reported for OO.org, but verified in LibO)
- #37128 - Writer saves text alignment of RTL paragraph not according to the ODF specification
I hoped to have the first two done for 3.5.0, but didn’t succeed in getting them fixed. Will keep trying…